Thursday, August 20, 2009

Renters Rights Resources

Info obtained from
http://www.nolo.com/resource.cfm/catID/31250834-6A2E-4970-9EDD4DAF221A0C7E/104/138/



Get Your Security Deposit Back

Most states hold landlords to strict guidelines as to when and how to return security deposits. The general rule is that you are not responsible for normal wear and tear. If you cause damage by your unreasonable carelessness or deliberate misuse, however, you must pay for it. Landlords are typically required to return your security deposit, or give you an itemized accounting of the deductions from your security deposit, within 14 to 30 days after you move out

Ten Tips for Tenants
Bring your paperwork.
Review the lease.
Get everything in writing.
Protect your privacy rights.
Demand repairs.
Talk to your landlord.
Purchase renters' insurance.
Protect your security deposit.
Protect your safety.
Deal with an eviction properly


I have moved over and again as a renter and have never, I mean never received any security deposits back. Why? Because I never knew my rights and assumed the landlord was right! It's time to start taking action.

No comments:

Post a Comment